Monday, March 26, 2012

new table to ASPNetDb.mdf and foreign key

I was thinking of adding tables to ASPNetDB.mdf and have one of those tables have column userid as a foreign key from aspnet_Users

When I try to create relationship in Diagram, I get error saying that "data typ properties does not match"

userid in aspNet_Users is uniqueidentifier and userid (fk) in new table is int

What should I use, should I do that at all?

Thanks

uniqueidentifier and int is of different type. correct me if i'm wrong, the foreign key must be of same type as the primary key.|||

yes, but even when I use same type it gives me the same error

|||

Try to compare your new table with aspnet_Membership table, this table has an existing relationship with aspnet_Users table. Maybe you are missing a declaration of keys. As you can see both tables has UserID and they are tagged as a primary key and created a relationship based on that keys, but you can always have an option to make it an additional key instead of a primary.

Hope this helps.

|||That helps, good advice. I was able to connect keys from membership table with no problems. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment