Wednesday, March 28, 2012

New Time Dimension Role after cube wizard

If I have a data source view consisting of two tables - a fact table and a time dimension table. The fact table has three date columns - transaction begin date, transaction end date, and updated date. When I initially designed the data source view my requirements only called for the trans begin and end dates so I made two joins to the time table from the sales table. I then ran the cube wizard which correctly detected that I intended to use the time table twice for two different Time hierarchies (Roles) on a single time dimension.

I have recently been asked to add the updated date but I cannot figure out how to add a new hierarchy (Role) on the time dimension. Any Ideas?

You should be able to go to the Dimension Usage tab in the cube designer and click on the Add Cube Dimension button on the toolbar (the third button from the left). When the list of dimensions comes up, simply select your Time dimension and add it again. You'll then see the dimension added within the list of dimensions down the left side of the tab, likely with a name like Time (Time 1) or something similar. Now, simply highlight the newly added role-playing dimension, hit F2, and rename it whatever you want. Then, of course, set the appropriate relationship between this new dimension and the measure group(s) within the cube...

HTH,

Dave Fackler

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment