Friday, March 30, 2012

New to SQL 2005 Express

I haven't used this software except locally on my laptop. If you have built a databased web app using this, how do you deploy the db? Does it have to be installed and/or supported on your webhosting service? If so, it seems to be of limited use, if not, very helpful.

Thanks for the help

To deploy the application, the destination will need to have SQL Server Express installed as well. You can read a detailed article about that here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165639.aspx

Buck Woody

|||

That's what I was afraid of....doesn't look as this will be the answer. Back to mysql or MS SQl 2000.

Thanks for the reply!!

TLCoop

|||No problem - but MySQL or MS SQL 2000 will have the same issue, won't it?|||

There might be some confusion here. SQL Express is SQL Server 2005. Your hoster will need to support SQL Server 2005, but they don't have to have SQL Express installed. It's the exact same database file because they are the exact same products, just with different feature sets.

If you're hosting company requires that you upload your database using scripts, we are working on a tool to help do that. You can find a CTP of the tool on CodePlex.

Mike

|||

Thanks Mike,

My host doesn't offer mssql 2005 yet. They do have mssql 2000, and maybe(hopefully)some of sqlexpress2005 is backwards compatible. I can always generate scripts and run a query for db population on mssql 2000. I'll take a look at CodePlex.

I appreciate the help!

Terry

|||

Thanks Buck for the reply. My Host doesn't offer MSSQL 2005 nor SQLExpress 2005 support yet. They offer both MySQl and MS SQL 2000 right now, so I'll try and 'script' a db from express 2005. I appreciate the help.

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment