Friday, March 30, 2012

New to SQL - Backup Fails

Bear with me, as I am new to SQL and have quite simply been thrown into this situation.

I have set up a simple backup to DVD that fails. The log file is attached. I'm sure that there's an obvious answer here, but I don't know what to look for. Until we find a new database guy, I'm it.

Thansk so much in advance for any insight you can provide!

TomWhy to a DVD(?) Why not to disk? It's faster...

And if you're it (Like in tag?) then why not use the maintenance wizard?|||well, your errors relate to what you're asking in the first command, - set db to single user mode. if there is at least one more connection (which can be even yours0 the command will fail. you can write a simple script that would create a script that kills all connections to that database. fire that script before running sqlmaint and set a job step dependency "on success" with sqlmaint step.|||Just to be clear: ms_sql_dba is right; your job is failing because your database is not in single user mode. SQL backups can run with multiple users logged in, but in your case, the first task in your job is to "repair" the database.

I'm guessing that you are using the maintenance wizard; if so, skip the Integrity page on the maintenance wizard (make sure nothing is checked).

After doing that, your job should run okay.

Regards,

hmscott|||Thanks to all or you for your help.

Skipping the integrity page in the maintenance wizard cleared it up!

Hopefully I won't have to do this very long!

Regards,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment