Wednesday, March 28, 2012

New to IS -- please help me!!

Hi i am new to IS and I have been trying to use conditional split but cannot get the syntax to work.

Can someone please tell me where i can find a syntax guide or samples especially on how to make the datetime funnction and maths function work.

And, am I correct that the syntax is not as simple as they look in the conditional split transformation editor?

thanks!!!

Expression How-to Topics (SSIS)
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/23149cdd-b8e0-45a8-8d60-907f0c3ea943.aspx)

Integration Services Expression Reference
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8b80403f-6d45-4001-8b12-25a933c663a2.aspx)

If you give an example I'm sure someone can give you the expression.

|||

thank you darren.

ok basically i am looking for the logic of the syntax. For example when i typed SUBSTRING(firstname,1,1) == "A" into the conditional split editor column, the parser can recognize this because the syntax itself is correct.

Now, what is the syntax logic behind date / time and math functions? Do you have examples or 'url' that offers correct syntax. What I mean by 'correct' is that i can just cut and paste the expression and that the expression would not turn into red. i just want to get an idea about how the syntax work. I have read books online and other stuff offered by msdn but I am looking for examples that would enable me to just paste the correct expression then, i can try to understand the logic of the syntax later on.

Thank you so much!

|||

If you want to know how to use individual function, then look them up in the reference I sent a link to, or just use your local copy of Books Online. They all have descriptions and simple examples, e.g.

SUBSTRING(MiddleName,1,1)

This example uses variables in the position and length arguments. If Start is 1 and Length is 5, the function returns the first five characters in the Name column.

The docs describe the function, and give examples of usage and syntax. I don't see what more you want. If you look at them they tell you how the syntax works.

No comments:

Post a Comment