Friday, March 30, 2012

New to Reporting Services

I am used to using Crystal Reports, but now with having Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005, I am trying to get along and use Reporting Services.

I need to understand or have somebody point me to a website or good book that I can use to learn about Report Server and the reports.

Here is the actual problem that I am having: I have built a report into the company intranet. This report works if I run it locally, however the print button does not show up understandably. Somebody mentioned making it a server-side report. So I imported the report into the Report Server of the SQL Server. At first I was getting an error message "The path of the item "\Reports\report.rdlc" is not valid. The path must be less than 260 characters long and restrictions apply. (rsInvalidItemPath)"

I believe I solved that error, but now when the page displays I do not get an error message, but I also do not have a report. The reportViewer is empty.

I then noticed that maybe I had to copy the report to IIS (I am using IIS 5.1). So I used the copy tool to copy the report to the directory for the report server in IIS (reportserver$sql). I have the property for the Server URL set to this directory and I have the report path set to \Reports\report.rdlc. Now I am getting an error message about "the item cannot be found."

Thanks for any information and help.

In SSRS all reports are actually stored inside of the Reporting Services database. As far I know, copying a file to the reporting server will not do anything for you. You need to 'Deploy' the report to the reporting services server from inside the report designer or BIDS (Business Intelligence Design Studio or something like that). However, you could also deploy the report from inside of reporting services web interface. I would also recommend the apress book on reporting services 2005. I bought the book because it was the first rs2005 book out of the gate. But it is actually really good. I started out with no knowledge of SSRS2005 and very limited knowledge of reporting technologies in general. This book made reporting services easy to learn.

Pro SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590594983/sr=1-4/qid=1138689829/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-0186147-5716036?%5Fencoding=UTF8

No comments:

Post a Comment